Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Johanna Faith Lucia for real

This morning Johanna and I were scheduled for a hearing before Judge Sanders for her legal name change. My sister Brenda was going with us so we were going to pick her up at her husband's new coffee shop. As Johanna and I were walking the sidewalk to the coffee shop a nicely dressed gentleman came out. He stopped to say hi to Johanna and asked if she was going to get some coffee. I told him we were going to court. The gentleman asked what for and I told him a name change. He replied, "Oh, you will be before me." Yes, it was Judge Sanders. We talked for a few minutes and I told him about the adoption.

The "hearing" was really nothing. Judge Sanders called us to a small table and read through the paper I had filled out. He also looked at Ana Lucia's birth certificate from Guatemala and checked for my name. I had to write out Johanna's full name for him. He wanted to make sure he wrote it correctly so we "won't have to do it again."

When we were finished Judge Sanders said he wanted to show us something in the hall. I couldn't imagine what is could be. He pulled a rubber duck from his pocket for Johanna. He said he hadn't brought enough for everyone and there were two other children in the court room.

That was it. I really wanted something formal and ceremonial. Oh well. Johanna fell asleep on the way home . . . with the duck.

7 comments:

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

For something that took so long in Guatemala, the procedings are "no big deal" here. We didn't even have to attend the hearing for Tabitha's.....speaking of which we are still waiting for the new South Carolina birth certificate.
Becky T.

veggiemom said...

Sounds much like Ruby's readoption. Even though it wasn't a huge ceremony, Congrats! It's still a big and really exciting deal.
Kerri and Ruby

Anonymous said...

Yea know my baby has been home 19months and i havent done the name change yet!!! IM sooo bad i better do it this summer..She will be forever known by her DR as Cindy Abigail instead of Abigail Marie!

What a doll!

The Adoption Journey of Baby King said...

Congratulations! Did you get a picture with the judge? We did and had it framed, also with his CoC.

Another step out of the way.

Terry said...

Congratulations!
I've been putting off Tommy's readoption for too long now. Gotta get it done soon. As Leslie said, he will forever be know at his doctor's office as Carlos.

Terry

Jenny said...

Congratulations, Johanna! She is so cute asleep with the duck on her princess throne.

Jenne said...

Congratulations!