Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ER X 2

2 . . . that is the number of times we were at the ER this week. Sunday Johanna took three naps. I think they totaled about 6 hours. She was also very clingy and wanted to be held all the time. Then she started crying. A LOT!! She had just cut another tooth on the bottom but I thought her behavior was still very odd. By evening I was very concerned because she would cough and then cry like it really hurt. Off to the ER we went. We had a child in daycare earlier that was diagnosed with strep throat and one with hand, foot and mouth. I was not taking any chances.

The ER wasn't busy and we were out in about an hour. That is VERY unusual for our ER. The dr. said Johanna seemed to have a little bronchitis and prescribed Zythomax. This was found after the chest x-ray which is the absolute worst thing I have ever seen!! I cried almost as much as Johanna during it.

Monday Johanna woke up with a wet diaper. Later she had a poopy one. That was it for the day. She wouldn't eat or drink. She wanted nothing in her mouth. She had a couple of tiny blisters in her mouth and then broke out in red spots on her legs, stomach, back and bottom. I finally made a call to the hospital to have the on-call ped call me. He said that if she hadn't had a wet diaper all day I needed to get her to the ER. Back we went.

This time they were busy. A different dr. was there this one moved much quicker than the dr. the previous night. We were there just over two hours. Johanna was not dehydrated but now had blisters in her throat. What do we do for that? Put Benedryl on a q-tip and put it on the blisters. Not and easy task.

Today is Wednesday and she seems to be doing much better. She has taken a bottle eaten some food and drank some Pedialyte. I am praying this is the last time she is sick until she can talk.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You and Johanna must both been so scared. I hope that precious girl is all better soon. Give her an extra kiss and a hug from me.

Thank goodness that insurance came through when it did!!!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Poor baby and Poor mama. I am glad to hear that she is doing better.

veggiemom said...

Poor Johanna! Hope she's better soon!
Kerri and Ruby

Carol said...

I'm sure glad she's feeling better! What a scary thing!

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Gail,
I am so sorry that Johanna is sick. I hope she is doing better today. Olivia had a chest x-ray so I know what you mean about how awful it is.
Olivia also had Hand foot and mouth which she passed on to me. Unusual for adults to get it but if it's strange it will happen to me. It is very painful and I don't know how the little ones handle it. I had the blisters in my mouth and hands and they hurt like heck.

I am praying that it goes a way quickly and she is feeling like herself in no time.

Hang in there.

Sharon

Debbie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Johanna is sick. I've been through the whole sick baby thing with chest x-rays and test, etc. For the most part, I think it's much harder on mommy than on baby because we tend to remember it much longer than they do. Hang in there and I hope Johanna is back to her old self very soon.

Steph said...

Oh no! Poor girl! I am relieved to hear she is doing better. What an ordeal!

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

So did they say what caused the blisters? Sounds like hand, foot, and mouth to me.
Becky T.

The gFamily said...

I am so sorry!! That was, I am sure, a scary experience!! I hope and pray that Johanna is feeling better and she is back to her normal active self very soon!!