Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, April 4, 2008

Who's Your Mama?

Johanna does know who her Mama is. She loves Grandma too but if Grandma is holding her and I talk or she sees me, she wants me. It is so wonderful!!
BUT . . . I have a friend whose little girl is in our daycare. This friend is hispanic and Johanna ADORES her!! Monday Adel held Johanna and talked in Spanish to her. I am very happy there is someone who can do this with her. Wednesday Adel held her again. When she handed her back to me and left, Johanna cried. She kept pushing away from me and looking toward the door for Adel. At first I was a little bothered by it. I'm not any more. Yesterday she did fine when Adel left. I understand that there is that attachment to her earlier life and I am glad that there is someone who can give Johanna a sense of that.

Adel and Johanna

6 comments:

demp5 said...

That is so wonderful that you all have Adel in your lives. What a blessing! It is so fun to hear that Johanna recognizes and prefers you. She is surrounded by people who love her :)

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

That is great that Adel is in your life and Johanna's. Johanna is a very smart little one.

Nikki said...

Ohhh, I had the simliar experience! My coworker is also Hispanic and speaks Spanish. When I brought Josiah to meet everyone at work, he liked her immediately and it had me worried, but I realized I don't want him to forget where he came from so it's nice.

Wonderful feeling to be a MOM!

Hugs,
Nikki

Steph said...

How special!! It sounds like Johanna is adjusting perfectly!!! What a beautiful girl!

Frances said...

Ahhhh...the joys of parenthood! Sounds like you are settling in and enjoying life as a MOMMY!

Unknown said...

I am glad that you have someone to speak Spanish with Johanna. But...

I don't know how much you have read on attachment but they HIGHLY recommend not letting other people hold a newly adopted child for a few months. (your mom would be considered fine since she also lives in the home with you) If you haven't read much on the subject you might want to. It can delay attachment and be confusing for the child, especially in a situation where they are getting used to someone of a new ethnicity being their primary care giver.

sorry, to be a downer, i just think the attachment parenting ideas are good.