Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, December 4, 2008

When God Speaks . . .

It was two years ago today that God spoke to me about my baby girl. I am not one of those people who can put on the blog the Bible verse about Hannah praying for a child. Not that I didn't want to be a mother, I just didn't pray and ask God for a baby. I had looked into international and domestic adoption a little but nothing serious.

On this day in 2006 God told me I would be holding my own baby girl in church soon. I didn't really know if I could believe it so I answered back. "God, I'm not married!! I'm not even dating anyone!! How can I have a baby of my own????" God had a plan and it then hit me. I was to adopt. By the end of that year I had signed on with Little Miracles International Adoption Agency. When God gives the directions, it is best to waste no time.

I looked at Guatemala and felt and urge toward there but ultimately decided to go with Kazakhstan. I started getting the paperwork ready, did the home study and even started buying baby girl clothes. At one point my adoption coordinator thought Kaz wasn't going to work for me and suggested I switch to Guatemala. No. I was going to Kazakhstan. Then I started feeling very restless about my choice.

My dossier was complete and I was almost ready to hit the Kaz list when I KNEW that wasn't right. I quickly emailed my coordinator and asked if I could switch to Guatemala. Not a problem. Then I was at peace. This was the first of May.

August 3, 2007 I got the referral for a beautiful baby girl from Guatemala. Right away I knew she was my Johanna Faith!! Now as I look back, I know why God called me to adopt this wonderful baby. Johanna was born July 23, 2007. About Dec. 4, 2006 her birth mom may have realized she was expecting a precious baby or maybe she already knew but then made the decision to give her up. At that moment God spoke to me!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!

Terry said...

Beautiful Gail! Thanks for sharing this story. Love the picture...one happy mama and one precious little girl!

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

Nice post and picture, Gail. I love the Christmas photo in the sidebar too!
Becky & Tabitha

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwww love this pic Gail...Beautiful!

hugs,leslie

Annie and Greg said...

What a great story! I have a similar one. I had a dream in early July, 2005. I knew I wanted to adopt at some point but it wasn't something that my husband and I were planning on looking into for several more years. In my dream I was holding a teeny tiny little baby, so little that the skin was translucent. The baby had a full head of jet black hair which genetically made no sense for a biological child of mine but in the dream this child was very much mine. I didn't quite get the message that my dream was telling me for a couple more months. We got our referral for our little boy and the first thing I noticed when I saw his picture was that full head of black hair. My oldest son was born in April 2006 which means he was likely conceived in early July 2005, right when I had that dream. Isn't it just amazing how God leads us to the life we were meant to have?

Rebekah said...

What a wonderful post and an amazing story about leading you to your little one! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2

Tami said...

It's amazing how God works, isn't it?! :) Love the pic!

Melissa said...

Yes, when God speaks it is best to listen! I also have a story about being led to adopt. I will write it on my blog some day.

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how things work out. If you hadn't started with Kaz then the timing would have been all wrong for getting this little girl who was meant to be your daughter.

(and we would likely never have "met" either)

There are so many little timing things that are amazing in our adoption too. The month we decided to adopt was the month Dmitrii entered the orphanage.

The gFamily said...

Thank you for sharing your story! You were obedient to the Lord and he has blessed you immensely with a beautiful daughter!!! Love the pic of the two of you! Muy preciosa!

Hannah said...

What a beautiful post! I love the picture of you the two of you it is so beautiful!

Susie said...

Gail, I love this post. I so appreciate you sharing your journey and how God touched your heart. What good can happen when we listed to God's gentle whispers....you have your hearts desire in that little girl. Blessings as always, Susie

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Don't you just love how God is so PERFECT with his timing. He hand picked out our children for us. I have no doubt in my mind that Johanna was meant for you and Madi was meant for me.

We serve an AMAZING God.

Sweet post and so happy that you have your little angel.

Andrea

Debbie said...

Oh how things can change over a two year period. I'm sure you never imagined just how great life could be!

Kelly said...

Great picture! Thanks for sharing your amazing story.

Pineapple Princess said...

I just love this post! The line that really spoke to me was, "When God gives the directions, it is best to waste no time." That is so true! Sometimes that's hard for me. It takes lots of discipline and obedience!

Have a wonderful Christmas with your beautiful daughter!

XO,
Stacy